Tuesday 9 December 2008

Santa comes to town


If it's December 6th, then it must be Mikolaj! Hurrah.... for the biker Santas! On Saturday the Rynek reverberated to the gentle sound of motor bike engines, as the bikers of Krakow roared their way round, let people see, touch and even climb on the bikes, handed out sweets -and then went on their way to the children's home. What a great idea and what fun!

I was told about this event by one of the bikers who I know and I have to say that my main concern was that I wouldn't recognise him in a Santa suit. I was rather depending on recognising his wife. However, he saw me before i spotted him and he even gave us each a choccie bar. Just the ticket to slow down the hunger pangs!
Right now the Rynek has the Christmas market and there is a wonderful atmosphere. I love to wander round and if you are interested then head to the end, near the Nativity stage, where there is the most wonderful stall. It sells cheeses from Zakopane. Smoked cheese that is grilled, and served with blueberry jam. Just out of this world ....sooooo delicious and definitely one of my favourites. Then head back and quench your thirst with a mulled wine.

Alternatively, go to Sw. Marka and look for a rather well-hidden pub called Non-Iron. No, I'm not kidding - that really is its name. It is very small, easy to miss but well worth the search. It serves some tasty beverages, the majority of which are Czech! I sampled a couple of different ones, including one with kolendra in it. That's coriander to you. It was my favourite of the weekend.

And now it's the working week again. Having had a good weekend with a cousin from Poznan, this is now a tad flat - but it's only days to do till we're off to Transylvania for Christmas....so really don't expect anything to appear her for a while now please! Next installment will be from the Christmas break!

No comments: