Wednesday 14 November 2007

Property Barons!

Well - we did it! We are now the proud owners (along with our son) of a studio apartment in Krakow!! The owners accepted our offer which surprised us but we were very pleased. We celebrated with a bottle of Chilean red! The title of today's blog is courtesy of our son! I beleive in polite Mayfair Society it might be described as a 'bijou residence'....


Now the fun begins. I have to do a crash course in 'How to arrange for IKEA to come and measure and install a kitchen' - any bright ideas??? I have an idea of what we need but it's going to be a challenge and if I get it wrong we'll be sleeping in a very big sink and who gets the taps is anyone's guess!!!


Yesterday we bought a toaster, jug, iron and some cutlery and plan to build up the stuff before we move in in December. One BIG move will do us, thank you!


We are slowly improving our Polish and our two teachers are very good indeed - and very patient too. We do have some funny times both in class and in shops. The girl at the bread kiosk now knows us and is almost guessing what we'll order -[Note to self: must catch her out tomorrow by changing the order!!]


We are having fun using 24hr tickets and travelling lots of places. And this coming weekend my cousin Monika and her husband Jacek are coming to stay for the weekend so we will ask them to translate some stuff in the IKEA (again) catalogue. We are taking them out to dinner in Hawelka. Anyone reading this who knows Krakow will know it's a top restaurant in the Stary Miasto. I am REALLY looking forward to it!!!!


I promised a pic so here's one. Remember the apartment is newly renovated!!! See the roof? See the windows? Well they are our apartment!! Yes, I know it doesn't look much but it's really nice inside - clean lines, wooden beams (the roof is split new by the way) and very very bright.


Here's another one, this time of the inside! This is one half of our living area and you can just see the beams and the gap to the right is the kitchen area!
Anyway, as things progress I will keep the blog updated. This is one of those bizarre moments from a reality show!!!! Plumbers and electricians are now required - I believe they have all gone to the UK so may be some time!!!






2 comments:

just_susan said...

Hello Chris!
It looks like you are really getting settled... great to hear from you. My students were asking after you only yesterday. I'll be able to tell them you are having a wonderful time over there. Take good care of yourself and STUDY HARD! :) Must dash as I have to get ready for work.

Warm Regards
Susan H

kylie said...

WEll sounds like all is working out well in Poland for you. I have been to Krakow but was backpacker so would not know the best restaurants, so I'll take your word for it. I would love to be there now as it is getting hotter here. THis year is going to be really hot. I mean I can't imagine what it will be like in February. Still looking round for jobs. Will keep you updated if anything happens.
Kylie